Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Post Old-Fashioned

What is post-modern? Isn't modern, by definition, well, modern? If something is post-modern, I would think it hadn't happened yet. So I'm going with post-old-fashioned, which is after old-fashioned, and therefore new, or modern. I apologize, but this is the brain God gave me and I do the best I can with it.

As a post-old-fashioned human and a woman, I struggle daily with remembering what is truly, truly important in this, our world as we know it. We're literally bombarded in all our waking hours by competition for our attention.

A few nights ago I went for a walk into Sabino Canyon at sunset. I got to see the moonlight on the water and sit by a campfire, listening to the water bubbling over the rocks. I got to look through a telescope at the full moon. I was nearly blinded (literally) by the sight of such brilliant beauty. The telescope was then turned and I was witness to the wonder of the Pleiades, or Seven Sisters, an open star cluster containing middle-aged hot B-type stars located in the constellation of Taurus.  It sounds like a reunion of good-looking, but older actresses of so-so movies.  But it was much more spectacular than that.  We then looked at Jupiter, whose bands were circling the planet vertically and whose four moons were brightly visible.

When my attention is on natural God-made wonders such as these, I am truly happy and at peace. When I focus on God's love for us (despite our nano-particle size compared to the Universe), I am overwhelmed and humbled. But all too often I find myself being critical of someone I love, or someone I barely know. I am reduced to smallness and pettiness by these thoughts. I become unhappy with myself, for I realize this thinking is not good for anything and only serves to separate me from others.

Despite my cynical nature, He loves me. As the Bible says, "we all fall short of the Glory of God..."  Now, if I can just be patient and loving with myself as well as others...

1 comment:

  1. I miss those moments of true peace! It's so easy to get too caught up in everything and forget the simplicity of God's love. Good reminder.

    Post-old-fashioned, heh.

    ReplyDelete