Sunday, January 8, 2012

Necessity as the mother of invention

I'm probably just going to ramble, so get used to it; welcome to MY world. Tuesday night the internet went down and the next morning, screen addict that I've become, since I couldn't check my email or look for a job or read the internet "news" headlines,  I tried to turn on the TV. Evidently the little digital converter box that we were forced to buy in 2009 if we still wanted to live without cable or satellite dish had somehow fried its little brain overnight, so nothing was possible on the TV. "Hmm", I mused, "Maybe the power outage that affected a few thousand people a few blocks away made some power surge thingy that caused both of my beloved black boxes to turn belly up!"

It is now Sunday night and I still have no television. But after 50 minutes and twelve seconds (cell phones tell you EXACTLY how long you were connected) talking to a guy in the Phillipines, I actually had the internet and wireless back up and running the next day. In the interim, I have discovered that:

A) I definitely watch way too much TV. But hey, you can only look for a job so many hours per day before you can't take writing the same things over and over again on every application anymore. Why did you leave your last job? Oh, because I thought it would be fun to spend the next year semi-employed, and filling out your %$#@ job application!!!!!

B) You can watch obscure PBS shows (for instance Lark Rise to Candleford) in 10 minute increments on YouTube. Yes, I watched several episodes in order from the beginning the other day. (which is more than I can say for PBS, which will show them in order for a few weeks and then randomly start somewhere else in the series and not tell you whether you've just gone back to the beginning or what.)

C) Silence isn't so bad, but I do talk to myself more when I don't have the TV.

D) Exercise DVDs are dangerous for your health. Enough said.

E) Go without TV long enough and you may just start a blog out of sheer boredom.

No comments:

Post a Comment